Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Names owes its existence
to Eulalie Durocher, Mother Marie-Rose, a woman of extraordinary
faith and courage who sought God in all things.
LEARN MORE ABOUT:
quickly, pupils and aspirants to religious life hurried to join
them at the house situated in front of the church in Longueuil,
August 1844, Sisters and students were so numerous they needed
to move to the new convent at 80 rue Saint-Charles Est. On December
8, 1844, in St-Antoine-de-Padoue church, Bishop Ignace Bourget
presided at the official establishment of the Congregation. It
was on this occasion also that the three foundresses made their
In 1849, after six years of existence, the Congregation already
had four houses and 44 religious (including seven novices and
seven candidates). At the opening of Vatican II, 4000 Sisters
residing in 277 houses, were teaching over 100,000 students in
Canada, the United States, Lesotho, Peru and Brazil. Over the
years, the congregation has given more than 6500 religious to
the world and to the Church.
Today, the mission of education in the faith continues in Canada,
the United States, Lesotho, Brazil and Peru with 1135 religious
and 615 associates.